Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Fibonacci bag~

Finally, the 'big' project I was referring to a few days ago.

Last summer, when we started our move across the world (ok, across the country), I decided to start a knitting project that was large (for me) and s.i.m.p.l.e (moving so far with 2 kids, a dog and a cat took all of my brains and energy).
I created a design for a felted bag, that stripes following the Fibonacci sequence, following the sequence up to number 13. (1,1,2,3,5,8,13). I chose 5 colorways of Malabrigo worsted so the colors would not repeat in a pattern.
It almost took me a year to finish the knitting and the bag ended up making 3 full trips across the continent. Turns out a larger knitting project to knit on a plane doubles as a warm lap blanket!

Here is the bag before felting:


And Voila! Felting completed and handles attached! I found the perfect pink sparkle handles.

But it still didn't feel "right". Not enough reenie mess, this bag is too urm... refined?

So I created a batt in similar colors to make a handspun to crochet a crazy edge around the top of the bag.
Here is the batt, carded from wool, merino, polypay and targhee, with GOBS of glitz and scraps of the same yarns used to knit the bag.


And the yarn.....



Now to punch holes in the bag and crochet the edge. I will post pics again once it is complete.
I have considered offering this as a pattern on the site...... what do you think?

No comments: