Friday, July 27, 2012

Baby Surprise Jacket #1~ 2012

I can finally reveal the baby sweaters I have been knitting. 
Babies have arrived and been gifted their sweaters! 
YAY! Welcome to the earth, little ones.

Introducing the Baby Surprise Jacket#1, knit for Baby Jackson, (aka Jack).



hand dyed worsted weight superwash merino

Gauge on a size 8 was 4.5 st/in. and 6.5 rows/in.
I used a provisional cast on in the beginning so I could add length to the sleeves. Cast on 160 stitches.
For the decreases I used a sl2tog knit wise, k1, psso and purled the knit stitch on the return row.

For the increases I used a Kfb and purled the center stitch on the return row.

Once the body of the sweater was finished, I put the live cuff (sleeve) stitches on a piece of yarn to hold them and seamed the shoulders.
 Seaming done using the sewing technique shown here at Pam's Knitting & Spinning Blog~


I then placed the live sleeve stitches onto dpn and knit the additional length in the round. 
I extended the sleeve length by 1.5 inches, decreasing evenly at the bottom of the sleeve, (from 34 sleeve stitches to 28, approx. 1 dec. every other row) then knit a k1p1 ribbed cuff for another 2 inches. This cuff can be rolled back for when Jackson is smaller. 
Total sleeve length is 8 inches from armpit to cuff edge.



Chest measures 18 inches, which is a standard 18 month according to this chart: 
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/babysize.html (this is how I calculated the final sleeve length)

I finished the neck edge with a single crochet stitch around. (see photo)~

Buttons are from my gram’s button tin.


No comments: